Versant English Test for India – VETI
A Spoken English Test Made for India, from Versant – The World Leader in Automated Language Testing
- Competency areas – English oral language proficiency
- Administration type – Automated by phone
- Test duration – 8-10 minutes
Versant English Test for India is the latest in the globally-known Versant series of tests that have spearheaded the success of automated language testing globally. Versant has been customized for India in the form of Versant English Test for India, to facilitate the use of effective English and the success of Indians working and living in India. Versant English Test for India is designed for businesses that cater to Indian customers. It has been developed exclusively with Indian test takers in mind and the need to achieve accurate results from automated testing of spoken English. Versant English Test for India is based on the same patented and automated speech processing technology that has made Versant a leader in spoken English assessment.
Why Vesrant English Test for India?
Indian customers are becoming discerning due to exposure to the west, rising income and levels of education. They expect high standards of telephone and in-person communication from service providers such as banks, credit card companies, internet and digital TV provider. With English as the essential language of communication, businesses need to hire employees who can not only interact with customers but also with colleagues across India, using acceptable standards of language proficiency. Versant English Test for India was developed in response to feedback from our Versant customers that operate in India and serve Indian customers. These businesses are looking for an automated Versant test that has the same features of convenience, accuracy and affordability as other Versant tests, but is also completely created for use in the Indian context of spoken English.
Features of VETI
- Completely India-centric – Use of Indian voices for instructions, prompts, examples and section heads
- Valid measure – Versant English Test for India measures spoken English language proficiency of Indians. It does not compare these test takers to foreign, native-speakers of the English language, but uses language models based entirely on Indian data, making this a valid measure for proficiency in the Indian context.
- Large sample size – Test data collected from Indian speakers of English across the country. Hundreds of voice samples were obtained from across India to accommodate the linguistic needs of Indian speakers who use English as spoken in India.
- Representative sample – Samples from speakers representing 19 distinct Indian mother tongues were included to build robust and accurate scoring models.
- Culturally appropriate – Indian speakers of English have been sourced throughout the country to present items (i.e., test questions) that are acoustically and culturally familiar to speakers of Indian English. The test ensures comfort and comprehension of test items to make this a valid assessment for India.
- Easy to administer – Versant English Test for India is designed to run as simply as possible. No test paper needs to be printed and there is no need to search online for complicated instructions. Just dial the number provided and start testing over the telephone!
- Fair test items that do not test global knowledge – Only Indian names, places, and regions have been used in this test. There are no references to foreign names or places that might be challenging for Indian listeners to understand.
- New scoring model compared to other Versant tests – Versant’s traditional scoring model has been modified to account for speakers of Indian English in order to ensure that scores reflect English as it is spoken in India.
- Benchmarking – Scores are aligned with the six CEFR Levels for benchmarking and to help different organizations decide what level of proficiency suits their needs.
- Quick measure – Versant English Test for India takes about 8 – 10 minutes to complete with results appearing on our portal within ~5 minutes.
- Actionable test results – Score reports include detailed descriptors on current capabilities and recommendations for improvement. Information on level of proficiency can be used to make quick hiring decisions and for training and development purposes.
- Assessment of spoken English for any role that requires interactions with Indian customers in English
- Versant English Test for India helps you baseline your employees’ spoken language proficiency and create thresholds appropriate for your business
- Versant English Test for India can be used as a pre and post measure for language training
- Versant English Test for India can be used to identify the right candidate for the job from a large pool of applicants, by giving you a quick, accurate, affordable and fully automated solution
Versant for international voice needs:
For businesses that serve international customers, Versant’s flagship product Versant English Test is recommended.
In 1996, two Stanford University professors created Ordinate, creator of the Versant Tests, to develop and patent a spoken language testing system using speech processing technology and the advanced science of linguistics. The Versant tests are the first to leverage a completely automated method for testing spoken language. Ordinate Corporation was acquired by Pearson in January, 2008. Versant is now owned by the Knowledge Technologies group of Pearson. The Knowledge Technologies group of Pearson is the leader in spoken language assessment, providing solutions for corporations, government agencies, and academic institutions around the world.
The Versant tests are the result of years of research in speech recognition, statistical modeling, linguistics, and testing theory. Over the last 13 years, more than 52 million test questions have been delivered, responded to, and automatically scored for individuals from over 100 countries around the world. The patented speech testing technologies are applied to its Versant language tests and customized tests. Sample projects include:
- the assessment of spoken Spanish for the US Department of Homeland Security
- a test of aviation English, co-developed with the Federal Aviation Administration, to certify that pilots and air traffic controllers meet the language requirements set forth by International Civil Aeronautics Organization (ICAO)
- a test of Dutch language and culture for the Justice Ministry’s Immigration and Naturalisation Service in the Netherlands
- the assessment grading technology for children’s oral reading fluency to support the US No Child Left Behind and Reading First initiatives